Pittsburgh-based EQT Corporation, among the Appalachian Basin’s largest natural gas producers, was pleased to learn that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court recently ruled in its favor regarding the state’s interpretation of a Clean Streams Law.
The court’s ruling will permit the EQT Corporation’s case against the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) to proceed in the Commonwealth Court, rejecting PADEP’s preliminary objections. In the dispute between EQT and PADEP, the case was sparked when a third-party contractor initiated water treatment in Tioga County in 2012, pursuant to PADEP approval.
Through a remediation procedure, EQT proved both that the site met statewide soil clean-up standards and that a nearby stream was sustainable for wild trout, subsequently filing for judgment against PADEP’s interpretation. When the Commonwealth Court granted PADEP’s objections, EQT then appealed the case to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
“We are pleased that the Supreme Court has recognized that our declaratory judgment complaint was properly before the Commonwealth Court,” Lewis Gardner, EQT general counsel, said. “We look forward to a hearing before the Commonwealth Court on the PADEP’s erroneous legal interpretation of the Clean Streams Law.”
With nearly 1,800 employees, the company’s operations span Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia and Kentucky. EQT has used integrated air and horizontal drilling technology for over 125 years to construct and maintain regional pipelines, processing plants and storage facilities in an environmentally responsible manner.
- GREAT PHILADELPHIA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Gear Up for Small Business Growth
- GETTYSBURG ADAMS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Economic Outlook Breakfast
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming Wins MTA LIRR Design-Build Contract
- EXTON REGION CHAMBEROF COMMERCE: Giving Has Never Tasted So Good – Sweet Charity 2018
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Reception for US Congressman Charlie Dent
- 585,402 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: 2018 Commercial Real Estate Outlook
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Manufacturing Advanced Expo Coming May 10th
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Frankie Results NUTRITION WORKSHOP
- FNB CORPORATION: F.N.B. Corporation Schedules First Quarter 2018 Earnings Report and Conference Call