Honoring superlative acts of bravery, the Carnegie Hero Fund Commission awarded 24 Carnegie Medals for civilian heroism in the U.S. and Canada, raising the total number of this year’s awards to 84.
In its final announcement of 2015, the commission bestowed the honor in recognition of individuals who risked their lives to save that of others. In some cases, honorees lost their own lives saving others. Each of the awardees and their survivors will also receive a financial grant, Commission Chair Mark Laskow said.
Canadian recipients included Helen Goulet, Courtenay, British Columbia; Clifford Peterson, Ajax, Ontario; Fraser Potts, Limoges, Ontario; and Joshua Gardner, Calgary, Alberta.
The U.S. recipients from New York State were Cesar Garcia, Ronkonkoma; Michael Frawley, Hamburg; Michael Campanella, Clifton Park; Adam Myers, Ballston Spa; Boyce Coleman, deceased, Yonkers; and Jenna Fanelli, Elmsford. Illinois recipients included Dennis Hunke II, deceased, Plainfield, and Kevin O'Connor, Ottawa. Recipients from Florida were Clifford Wright, Sarasota, and Stuart Chaffin, St. Cloud.
Additional recipients included the Gary Olson Family, Jefferson, South Dakota; Peter Radke, deceased, Medina, Ohio; Wayne Hoffman, deceased, Spring Green, Wisconsin; Laurence Norton III, New Orleans, Louisiana; Jon Meis, Renton, Washington; Steven Martin, Northern Cambria, Pennsylvania; Neil Burkhardt, Portland, Oregon; Matthew Tranel and Cory Simonson, Maquoketa, Iowa; and William Driscoll, Middleboro, Massachusetts.
The Carnegie Hero Fund Commission was established in 1904 by industrialist-philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, with $37.7 million awarded to date in one-time grants, scholarship aid, death benefits and continuing assistance. This month’s awards bring the all-time total number of awards given to 9,821.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Carnegie Hero Fund Commission ?
Next time we write about Carnegie Hero Fund Commission, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GREATER DUBOIS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE & ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Clarion University SDBC Workshop: Why Export?
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - EMMAUS: Lunch & Tour of Vitra. by East Penn Chamber of Commerce and Western Lehigh Chamber of Commerce
- CHESTER COUNTY PA: County Commissioners proclaim April as Fair Housing Month
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Join Chester County Hospital in raising awareness about organ, eye and tissue donation
- CUMBERLAND COUNTY, PA: Recycling & Waste Authority Monday, April 16, 2018
- Analysis: Pennsylvania homeowners pay the sixth highest property tax rate in the U.S.
- 306,553 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from public colleges, universities
- DAUPHIN COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA: Dauphin County Commissioners and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. to host free paper shredding event in celebration of Earth Day
- DAUPHN COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA: Northern Dauphin Human Services Center and Valley Strong initiative to host career fair on April 20
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Two Gannett Fleming Projects Receive ACEC NY Diamond Awards