An innovative super load transport bill, authored by state Sen. David Argall (R-Schuylkill/Berks) to enable the transportation of super-sized loads on state roads via pilot escort, recently became law in Harrisburg.
Currently in the commonwealth, all tractor-trailer combination vehicles engaged in delivering loads that weigh over 201,000 pounds, measure over 160 feet in length or exceed 16 feet in width are required to engage a police escort directly on the road. By involving extra overtime hours, the rule strains the resources of the Pennsylvania State Police force
Argall’s legislation, submitted as Senate Bill 748 and now known as Act 55 of 2015, will permit super-sized loads to be accompanied by certified pilot escorts working for private companies — from above rather than alongside the oversized rigs — with oversight from local DOT and the state police, alleviating surface congestion as well as relieving man-hours on the road.
“Allowing qualified private operators to escort super loads will help mitigate a serious problem for the state police while maintaining the oversight needed to ensure the safety of motorists,” Argall said. “The growing number of road and bridge construction projects across the state makes it extremely important to explore alternatives to a state police escort for every super-sized load.”
Act 55 will go into effect at the end of Jan. 2016.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Sen. David G. Argall (R-29) ?
Next time we write about Sen. David G. Argall (R-29), we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Earth Day Cleanup at Independence Hill
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association National Championships
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event Nonprofit Workshop: What's Your Nonprofit Story: Message in a Minute
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Using a Home Test Kit and Smartphone to Test for Kidney Disease