To examine recent unemployment-compensation eligibility changes and determine any possible negative impacts to seasonal workers, the State Senate Labor and Industry Committee will hold a public hearing, 10 a.m. to noon on Tuesday at Philadelphia City Hall, Courtroom 676.
Majority Committee Chairwoman Lisa Baker (R-Dist. 20) is assembling the hearing as part of the committee’s continued efforts to determine the extent of any problems from the changes and to consider the practicality and cost of potential remedies.
In 2012, the General Assembly took measures to reduce a $4 billion debt to the federal government and ensure the long-term solvency of the unemployment-compensation system. One significant adjustment modified how eligibility is calculated for seasonal employees, such as those in construction. Workers who earn 50.5 percent or more of their annual income in one quarter are no longer eligible to receive benefits.
Baker, along with Sens. Christine Tartaglione (D-Dist. 2) and Scott Wagner (R-Dist. 28) will provide opening remarks. Personnel scheduled to testify include Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry Secretary Kathy Manderino and Douglas Holmes, president of the National Foundation for Unemployment Compensation and Workers’ Compensation.
Also scheduled to speak are Rick Grimaldi, a partner at Fisher & Phillips, LLP, and Pennsylvania AFL-CIO President Rick Bloomingdale, as well as other statewide business and labor-organization representatives, nationally recognized experts in the field of unemployment compensation, and employers and employees from the Philadelphia area.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Pennsylvania Senate Republican Caucus ?
Next time we write about Pennsylvania Senate Republican Caucus, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Earth Day Cleanup at Independence Hill
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association National Championships
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event Nonprofit Workshop: What's Your Nonprofit Story: Message in a Minute
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Using a Home Test Kit and Smartphone to Test for Kidney Disease