The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will begin accepting funding transportation improvement project applications on Saturday under the Multimodal Transportation Fund, basing selections on such criteria as job creation, energy efficiency, feasibility and sustainability.
“When we were developing Act 89 of 2013, the state’s historic transportation funding bill, we recognized the importance and need of promoting multimodal investments,” Sen. John Rafferty (R-44), chairman of the state Senate Transportation Committee, said. “The Multimodal Transportation Fund is an innovative, sustainable funding alternative to improve transit, aviation, rail freight, bicycle and pedestrian alternatives and other transportation-related projects in this commonwealth.”
Act 89 established a dedicated Multimodal Transportation Fund to stabilize funding for ports and rail freight, increase aviation investments, establish dedicated funding for bicycle and pedestrian improvements, and allow targeted funding for priority investments in any mode.
With $40 million in grants available for fiscal year 2016-17, PennDOT plans to announce grant recipients early next year for funding available starting July 2016. Applications are due by Dec. 18.
“I am impressed by the level of interest in the Multimodal Transportation Fund that is transforming how we invest more wisely in an interconnected transportation system that creates jobs and strengthens economic growth in Pennsylvania,” Rafferty said.
The Multimodal Transportation Fund is administered by the Commonwealth Financing Authority separately from PennDOT’s multimodal program.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Pennsylvania Department of Transportation ?
Next time we write about Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Earth Day Cleanup at Independence Hill
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association National Championships