Hospitals across the commonwealth saw a 1,200-position increase in employment last month, bringing the estimated state total to 269,700 and reversing a four-month negative trend, The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) said on Thursday.
Pennsylvania’s total nonfarm seasonally adjusted jobs increased by 18,200 to a record high of 5,856,900, HAP said. A June 19 report from the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry corroborated the numbers.
Because the Keystone State’s civilian labor force rose 25,000 from April, to 6,417,000, the state’s overall unemployment rate was up one-tenth of a percentage point from April to 5.4 percent -- still one-tenth below the U.S. rate of 5.5 percent and one-half of a percentage point lower than that recorded in May 2014.
Both the private and public sectors added jobs in May. The month’s largest gain was seen in the education and health sectors with an increase of 8,900, reaching a new seasonally adjusted high of 1,197,400. Eighty percent of the sector consists of health care and social assistance employment.
Over the year, total nonfarm jobs in Pennsylvania were up 66,800, a change of 1.2 percent. The growth was concentrated within private industries, with the largest gains in trade, transportation and utilities, education and health services, and construction.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania ?
Next time we write about The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Earth Day Cleanup at Independence Hill
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association National Championships