Senate Bill 622, which eliminates certain reporting duties required of the state Legislative Budget and Finance Committee (LBFC), was unanimously passed by the Senate and House and enacted by the governor last week.
Introduced by Sen. Bob Mensch, the legislation will remove certain recurring projects from the LBFC to allow personnel to work on new studies.
Meetings with LBFC officers yielded a consensus to end work on the following three recurring projects:
A performance audit of PennDOT, which is done every six years at a cost of $500,000; a cost benefits study of mental health insurance coverage, required by Act 198-150, done every two years at a cost of $100,000; and a study of the impact of slots on the state lottery, done annually at a cost of $500.
Mensch serves as chair of the LBFC, a bicameral and bipartisan agency comprising 12 General Assembly members. The committee takes responsibility for running studies and making recommendations to eliminate unnecessary spending, promoting economy within the state government, and overseeing the proper application of state expenditures.
To carry out these mandates, the LBFC is authorized to conduct research pertaining to the operation and performance of state-funded programs and agencies.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Sen. Bob Mensch (R-24) ?
Next time we write about Sen. Bob Mensch (R-24), we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- BNY MELLON: A New, Alternatives-Focused Investor Reality
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House