The National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB) expressed disappointment with Gov. Tom Wolf’s veto of the budget passed by the state Senate and House on Tuesday.
“The governor failed to convince a majority of Pennsylvania’s lawmakers why they needed to support the largest tax increase in the nation – a whopping $4.7 billion,” Kevin Shivers, executive state director of NFIB/PA, said. “In fact, the Wolf tax increase is larger than all other states combined.”
The plan passed by the General Assembly would have created a substantial increase across the board in education funding, human services and corrections.
“NFIB members and staff testified 10 times at various legislative hearings across the state regarding the severe impact of the governor’s proposed tax increases on small business," Shivers said. "Clearly lawmakers heard our testimony and agreed that now is not the time for massive tax increases on job creators.”
Legislators also voted for liquor privatization and much-needed state pension system reform.
“These were tough votes, and we applaud the state legislature for its leadership," Shivers said. "NFIB members are frustrated and concerned by the governor’s immediate veto of that bill."
NFIB represents 15,000 small businesses in Pennsylvania.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about National Federation of Independent Business ?
Next time we write about National Federation of Independent Business, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- BNY MELLON: A New, Alternatives-Focused Investor Reality
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House