With three key laws sent to the governor’s desk including the 2015-16 budget, public pension reform and liquor privatization, state Rep. Mauree Gingrich proclaimed Tuesday a historic day for the commonwealth, but she may have spoke too soon.
On the fiscal year’s final day, the General Assembly achieved its primary task – to pass a state budget—without raising taxes; however, Gov. Tom Wolf vetoed the entire $30.8 billion budget late Tuesday.
“This budget is simply not balanced,” Wolf said after vetoeing the budget. “I ran a business, and if I took a budget that looked anything like this to my bank, they would have thrown me out of the office.”
Gingrich said the budget would have funded the government’s core functions, added record-high resources for education with $11 billion for school funding, increased funding for human services and reversed the governor’s proposed cuts to agricultural programs.
“As a former member of the House Appropriations…I believe we have passed a sensible and sustainable state budget that takes into account the many needs of Pennsylvania citizens and addresses the fiscal realities of the commonwealth,” Gingrich said. “I believe the governor’s budget proposal would be harmful to Pennsylvania citizens and would have a detrimental impact on jobs and the commonwealth’s economic recovery.”
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Rep. Mauree Gingrich (R-101) ?
Next time we write about Rep. Mauree Gingrich (R-101), we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- BNY MELLON: A New, Alternatives-Focused Investor Reality
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House