Representatives from Pennsylvania;s Independent Fiscal Office (IFO) and the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry testified in response to Gov. Tom Wolf’s proposed natural gas industry tax during a joint Senate committee hearing in Harrisburg on Monday.
Both entities responded strongly to the plan.
While the Commonwealth boasts top teacher salaries, Chamber President Gene Barr said, “The strongest education system in the nation matters little if graduates do not have jobs waiting for them once they earn their diplomas."
Barr said increasing taxes on the natural gas industry could raise costs for residents and threaten the state’s economic competitiveness.
"The enactment of a severance tax will impede the significant progress Pennsylvania has made with
respect to job creation and render the state even less competitive with that of other states," Barr said.
Citing the immense potential of the Marcellus shale industry, Barr also urged lawmakers to realize that Pennsylvania is “well-poised to benefit greatly from increased global demand” for its natural resources. He concluded by saying the Chamber’s position is that the proposed budget could hurt business.
The IFO, which provides revenue projections for use in the state budget process, discovered in its study of the proposed plan that Pennsylvania’s current impact fee creates a tax rate of less than 1 percent, while the governor’s proposal would levy 7.3 percent.
“The proposed severance tax will likely move Pennsylvania from one of the lowest severance tax states to the highest tax state, relative to other major gas producing states,” IFO Director Matthew Knittel testified.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry ?
Next time we write about Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Earth Day Cleanup at Independence Hill
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association National Championships
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event Nonprofit Workshop: What's Your Nonprofit Story: Message in a Minute
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Using a Home Test Kit and Smartphone to Test for Kidney Disease