Responding to state House legislators’ voting against Gov. Tom Wolf’s tax-increase proposal, Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry President Gene Barr issued a statement on Monday supporting the opposition and urging a pension-crisis resolution.
In March, the governor proposed a budget with tax hikes to increase state spending to nearly $34 billion, nearly a $5 billion increase over the current year. The House unanimously voted down an amendment containing the legislative language in the governor’s tax proposal.
“Today, state House lawmakers voted to protect Pennsylvania taxpayers by saying no to the governor’s excessive tax plan," Barr said. "The governor’s far-reaching proposed tax hikes would impact every single Pennsylvanian. As has often been stated, this tax proposal encompasses everything from the cradle to the grave.
“Over the past few months, the Wolf administration repeatedly has said its budget proposal must be taken as a whole, complete package," Barr said. "We have…raised concerns about…the impact it would have on job creators and taxpayers throughout the Commonwealth. We have heard repeatedly from our members that the tax hikes…would negatively impact their ability to compete and grow.
“We applaud state House lawmakers for putting the needs of Pennsylvania’s taxpayers first and voting against this massive tax increase proposal," Barr said. "The final budget agreement must include significant pension reforms. We look forward to working with the governor and legislators to address the growing pension crisis and put Pennsylvania on a firm financial footing going forward.”
The Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry is the state’s largest broad-based business association, with statewide membership consisting of businesses of all sizes and across all industry sectors.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry ?
Next time we write about Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- BNY MELLON: A New, Alternatives-Focused Investor Reality
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House