Commonwealth hospitals contributed over $111 billion to local and state economies last year, The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) announced April 30 from its Harrisburg headquarters.
The newest figures were released in HAP’s latest report. The six percent increase encompasses jobs from both nonprofit and privately owned facilities, representing a total of almost 591,000 jobs.
“Hospitals and health systems have always been critical to the state’s overall health, and now, in addition to that important role, they are becoming increasingly vital to the success of Pennsylvania’s economic health,” HAP President and CEO Andy Carter said.
Hospitals provide approximately ten percent of all jobs in Pennsylvania, according to HAP, and every dollar spent generates an additional $1.30 invested in other sectors of the economy.
“As Gov. Wolf seeks to achieve important statewide goals of improving workforce development, attracting investments in research and strengthening our world-class health care system, the hospital community also proudly shares this vison for, and dedication to, Pennsylvania’s future,” Carter said.
Emphasizing that hospitals and health systems remain focused primarily on their patients’ and communities’ well-being, Carter also underscored the significance of the healthcare industry’s role in providing economic impetus through jobs statewide. Noting that Wolf’s proposed budget could slash healthcare resources, Carter reminded citizens not to lose sight of the big picture.
“Hospitals are adapting to new payment models based on value, investing in advanced technology and placing a greater focus on patient-centered care and population health,” Carter said. “They are restructuring and retraining their workforce to meet new health care needs, and with these changes come expanded employment opportunities and family-sustaining jobs.”
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania ?
Next time we write about The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Lions Clubs International donates to GWV NICU
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - EMMAUS: 5th Annual Nonprofit Collaboration Conference featuring Seattle Humor Blogger - Vu Le
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “SOAR” Spring Weekly Bird Walks
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: 95th Annual Spring Show
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event: Free Shredding Event at First Resource Bank
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania metro area pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- Analysis: College athletics grossed $31,832 per athlete in 2016
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Students spend valuable time at Geisinger Lewistown Hospital
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Paint and Sip- Dragonflies
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Join us for our April Business After Hours networking event at Presque Isle Downs & Casino!