State Sen. Scott Hutchinson (R-21) recently introduced legislation to protect the oil industry in Pennsylvania from regulations aimed at companies extracting gas from the Marcellus Shale.
S.B. 1310 would establish the Penn Grade Crude Development Advisory Council, a new panel focused on the study of existing regulations that would assist the state's environmental protection authorities in making changes that address the differences between oil and gas production.
"My Senate district includes the birthplace of oil and gas production in Pennsylvania over a century and a half ago," Hutchinson said. "These resources fueled the industrial revolution and transformed our nation's economy. This industry is an important part of the regional economy - an economy that is already struggling. It cannot afford to be stymied by excessive and unnecessary regulatory burdens."
The proposed council would be a public-private partnership based on the Pennsylvania Hardwoods Development Council established in the 80s.
"Generations of small producers have operated conventional shallow wells in a safe and responsible manner," Hutchinson said. "The paraffin-based oil produced in this region is unlike any other in the world and is used in specific products, from cosmetics to food production. Recent technological advances that have allowed for the development of previously inaccessible formations have necessitated updates and revisions to Pennsylvania's laws and regulations governing this new unconventional 'shale gas' industry."
- Q&A with Brookville Area Chamber of Commerce executive director
- QUAKER CHEMICAL CORPORATION: Showcasing Mining Compliance Solutions and Technical Expertise
- PENNSYLVANIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS: Homebuyers Report Rapid Success In Finding A Home
- F.N.B. CORPORATION: Again Recognized by Greenwich Associates for Excellence in Banking
- INDEPENDENCE BLUE CROSS: Removes cost sharing for naloxone and Narcan
- ENTERCOM COMMUNICATIONS CORP.: Names Jim McCloud as Executive Vice President of National Business Development
- HEALTH PARTNER PLANS: Groundbreaking Partnership Connects Homeless People to Vital Health Care Services
- DIVERSIFIED SEARCH: Molly A. Robb Joins Diversified Search
- HFF: Announces $160M Sale and Financing of 1600 Market in Philadelphia’s CBD
- NATIONAL DISEASE RESEARCH INTERCHANGE: Internationally Renowned Lung Disease Expert Joins NDRI Board