Pennsylvania hospitals continue to be one of the state’s top employers, but hospitals across the commonwealth lost 700 jobs during February, according to the Hospital & Healthcare Association of Pennsylvania (HAP).
Even with 2,400 hospital-related jobs lost in the first two months of 2015, state hospitals still provided approximately 268,500 positions in Pennsylvania in February, HAP
announced Monday in Harrisburg.
These employment changes reflect a reduction in inpatient services, along with reimbursement pressure. Across the state, education and health services showed the largest employment increase, although those numbers do not include hospital job statistics.
Notably, Pennsylvania's overall unemployment rate rose simply for the reason that more people are looking for jobs than previously were. In February, Pennsylvania’s unemployment rate increased by one-tenth of a percentage point, to 5.2 percent. Compared to national and state numbers, that figure is still 0.3 points below the United States rate of 5.5 percent and 1 percent lower than the state’s February 2014 figure.
HAP has provided updated employment data on a monthly basis since December 2007 for many Pennsylvania industries.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania ?
Next time we write about Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger offers free melanoma screening days at select clinics
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Open Mic with Frank and Bob
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Healthy Kids Day
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: April 25, 2018- Business in the Dawn of the Lost Privacy World Networking Event
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - EMMAUS: Super Bowl Champion Brent Celek talks NFL, Entrepreneurship, and the power of teamwork!
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Lions Clubs International donates to GWV NICU
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - EMMAUS: 5th Annual Nonprofit Collaboration Conference featuring Seattle Humor Blogger - Vu Le
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “SOAR” Spring Weekly Bird Walks
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: 95th Annual Spring Show
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event: Free Shredding Event at First Resource Bank