Using an innovative funding program, a 1940’s-era bridge badly in need of repair will be replaced, improving traffic and ensuring driver and resident safety, officials announced in Harrisburg March 25.
Commissioners Jeff Haste, Mike Pries and George P. Hartwick III jointly approved a $1.2 million loan to rebuild a one-lane overpass over Potato Valley Road in Middle Paxton Township. This is the sixth transportation project to benefit from funding from the Dauphin County Infrastructure Bank (DCIB).
With the creation of DCIB, Dauphin County is the first in the commonwealth to have an infrastructure account. Township Manager Julie Seeds said without the DCIB loan, Middle Paxton would likely have had to close the bridge.
“My hat is off to the commissioners,” Seeds said. “They are really there to help.”
The DCIB was created in 2014. Both governments and private outfits can apply for DCIB loans, but they can only be used for transportation-related projects. The Potato Valley bridge is expected to be supported by gaming revenue from the Hollywood Casino.
“This board never stops looking for outside-of-the-box ideas to help meet the needs of our residents,’ Haste said.
Without gaming grants, Hartwick said, important projects might be stymied. “This board promised to do everything we can not to add to the economic burden on our residents and we’re keeping that promise,’’ he said.
Organizations in this Story
- QUAKER CHEMICAL CORPORATION: Showcasing Mining Compliance Solutions and Technical Expertise
- PENNSYLVANIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS: Homebuyers Report Rapid Success In Finding A Home
- F.N.B. CORPORATION: Again Recognized by Greenwich Associates for Excellence in Banking
- INDEPENDENCE BLUE CROSS: Removes cost sharing for naloxone and Narcan
- ENTERCOM COMMUNICATIONS CORP.: Names Jim McCloud as Executive Vice President of National Business Development
- HEALTH PARTNER PLANS: Groundbreaking Partnership Connects Homeless People to Vital Health Care Services
- DIVERSIFIED SEARCH: Molly A. Robb Joins Diversified Search
- HFF: Announces $160M Sale and Financing of 1600 Market in Philadelphia’s CBD
- NATIONAL DISEASE RESEARCH INTERCHANGE: Internationally Renowned Lung Disease Expert Joins NDRI Board
- LINCOLN FINANCIAL GROUP: Love and Money: Couples Don’t Always See Eye to Eye on Financial Planning