The National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) said Tuesday small businesses would be the “biggest losers” when it comes to Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf's proposed budget for 2015-16.
The budget includes a $33.8 billion spending plan, which is about 16 percent higher than current fiscal year spending. Kevin Shivers, executive state director of NFIB/PA said the budget plan raises taxes on small businesses, but doesn't address the state's pension issue.
“For small businesses, this budget can be expressed using a simple formula: High costs plus complexity equals cutbacks,” Shivers said. “The state incurs billions of dollars in new debt, including risky pension obligation bonds, without tackling the actual causes of our state pension crisis. The plan also raises taxes on job creators to fund corporate-welfare programs that benefit only a select few.”
Shivers added Wolf proposed a 21 percent increase in the personal income tax, which will affect small business owners the most, and said about 80 percent of businesses report earnings on individual returns of their owners.
“The natural gas extraction tax affects many small companies that have flourished around the drilling sites – like water companies, trucking companies, hotels and restaurants,” Shivers said. “Worse still, a portion of the tax on natural gas extraction would be used to prop up competitors in less successful energy industries.”
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about National Federation of Independent Business ?
Next time we write about National Federation of Independent Business, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Earth Day Cleanup at Independence Hill
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association National Championships
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event Nonprofit Workshop: What's Your Nonprofit Story: Message in a Minute
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Using a Home Test Kit and Smartphone to Test for Kidney Disease