The Chester County Housing Authority announced last week that it has launched a new initiative to find suitable housing for at least 100 veterans over the next 100 days.
The campaign is part of the housing authority's ultimate goal to end homelessness in the county. The authority plans to partner with different community agencies and departments on both the county and federal level.
“We want veterans in the community to know that we feel privileged to be able to help them meet their housing needs,” said Dale Gravett, the Housing Authority’s executive director. “Multiple organizations comprise the team working on this initiative, but we all are united in working toward the common goal of ending veteran homelessness.”
Partners with the housing authority met Friday to establish housing targets for the different organizations participating in the campaign, and an oversight committee was formed. The partners included: the Chester County Department of Community Development; the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development; Decade to Doorways; Veteran’s Multi-Service Center; Chester County Mental Health and Disabilities Department; the Housing Authority of Chester County; Fresh Start Foundation; Catholic Human Services; the Coatesville Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center; as well as multiple county-based emergency shelters.
The overall campaign by the housing authority is part of a national effort to find homes for 50,000 veterans believed to be living on the streets. In August, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs said the number of homeless veterans has dropped by about one-third since 2009, when 75,000 vets were homeless.
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- BNY MELLON: A New, Alternatives-Focused Investor Reality
- Analysis: Homeowners in Pennsylvania county pay highest property tax rate in U.S.
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger expands access to clinical trials through consortium with five other health systems
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “Choosing an Appropriate Business Form”
- FRANKLIN COUNTY PA AREA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION: Herbruck’s celebrates Franklin County warehouse in anticipation of new egg-producing facility
- GANNETT FLEMING, INC.: Gannett Fleming/WSP Joint Venture Serving as Construction Management Consultant for Durham-Orange Light Rail
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: LGBT Business Council & Hellertown-Lower Saucon Chamber HALO Benefitting Valley Youth House
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Ribbon Cutting: Penn National Golf Course Club House