The Pennsylvania House Education Committee recently advanced H.B. 530, authored by State Rep. Mike Reese (R-59th), which aims to improve charter and cyber-charter education in Pennsylvania by strengthening school choice and improving the formula used to fund charter and cyber-charter schools.
“Enabling parents to choose quality education options for their children is an important goal here,” Reese said. “But quality education is expensive, and every dollar must be spent wisely and responsibly.”
Specifically, the bill directs charter schools to use an academic performance matrix developed by the Pennsylvania Board of Education. The bill also strives to increase enforcement of current truancy laws and includes language to improve public transparency and auditing requirements.
Charter schools meeting these objectives will have extended charter periods.
The bill also looks to address an ongoing problem with the funding formula for cyber charter schools by allowing school districts to deduct food service costs and cyber education expenses from the previous year from their per-pupil expense paid to cyber charter schools.
“The funding of cyber education has become a significant expense for local school districts,” Reese added. “But the funding formula is inherently flawed and lacks critical oversight. We have to make this a priority.”
The bill now moves to the House floor.
Organizations in this Story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Rep. Mike Reese (R-59) ?
Next time we write about Rep. Mike Reese (R-59), we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Geisinger offers free melanoma screening days at select clinics
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Open Mic with Frank and Bob
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Healthy Kids Day
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: April 25, 2018- Business in the Dawn of the Lost Privacy World Networking Event
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - EMMAUS: Super Bowl Champion Brent Celek talks NFL, Entrepreneurship, and the power of teamwork!
- GEISINGER LIFE FLIGHT: Lions Clubs International donates to GWV NICU
- GREATER LEHIGH VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE - EMMAUS: 5th Annual Nonprofit Collaboration Conference featuring Seattle Humor Blogger - Vu Le
- GREATER CHAMBERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: “SOAR” Spring Weekly Bird Walks
- ERIE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: 95th Annual Spring Show
- EXTON REGION CHAMBER OF COMMERCE: Community Event: Free Shredding Event at First Resource Bank